The NICHD Connection May 2015 Issue is Online!
Tuesday, May 12, 2015
Below is the link to our May issue, featuring:
- NIH resources for your well-being: EAP and the Office of the Ombudsman
- For stress management during life transitions, short-term counseling, and help with workplace conflicts
- Alumni profile of Dr. Mithun Mitra, Assistant Project Scientist at UCLA
- “Life outside Lab” Column: Earth Day and Take your Child to Work Day Pictures
- May announcements and events:
- New Biosketch requirements for NIH Grants
- Annual Grants Workshop, this summer, July 14th, sign up now!
- NICHD Exchange, Clinical Trials in Vulnerable Populations, May 11th
- New Postdoc Orientation, May 29th
- A special congratulations to Dr. Alan Hinnebusch for his election into the National Academy of Sciences
Eleven research programs comprised of roughly 79 units and sections constitute the Division of Intramural Research (DIR) of the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, and include a total of 79 tenured and tenure-track investigators, with a total administrative and staff complement of approximately 1220.
To ensure the birth of healthy babies, to ensure the health of infants who develop into adulthood, and to optimize the health of women, the DIR focuses its research effort on the acquisition of information that will enhance our understanding of the biology of development and reproduction. The research program emphasizes the importance of fundamental investigations into the physics, chemistry, and biology of cells, their component parts, and the processes that govern and regulate their function. As part of their investigative focus, the scientific researchers of the DIR accord primary importance to the transmission of new information to future generations of scientists.
The majority of the DIR laboratories are located on the NIH campus in Bethesda, and nearby in Rockville, Maryland. An additional research facility is located in Poolesville, Maryland. The research program in Perinatal Research and Obstetrics is based in Detroit, Michigan.